Barbara Fritts was a Volunteer Naturalist for Roxborough State Park from 2003-2011. She genuinely believed in the importance of education and valued the significance of getting children outside in nature. She was disheartened by the number of children who could not have this experience because of transportation issues. This fund is created in her memory to allow children to have a meaningful outdoor experience at Roxborough State Park. For some, this may be their first experience in "nature's classroom."
The Barbara Fritts Scholarship Fund is generously supported by the Friends of Roxborough State Park and offers field trip busing assistance to economically disadvantaged schools in Colorado. The funding covers bus transportation only (driver & fuel) and cannot be used for Park admission. It provides reimbursement for the bus fee so that children can come to Roxborough for a guided program/hike.
Schools are responsible for making their own transportation arrangements and paying for the bus.
- Metro area schools in Adams, Arapahoe, Broomfield, Boulder, Denver, Douglas, and Jefferson Counties are eligible for a reimbursement up to $150.
- Colorado schools outside the Metro area are eligible for a reimbursement up to $200.
In order to be eligible for the reimbursement your school must have at least 75 percent of your students qualify for the free and reduced lunch program through the National School Lunch Program.
- There are five scholarships awarded in the fall and five for the spring. Applications are accepted starting February 1st and are valid for the following school year. Funding is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Schools must have a confirmed reservation to visit Roxborough State Park for a guided school program/hike to be considered for the scholarship.
- Schools must complete the Barbara Fritts Scholarship Fund application. Only completed forms will be accepted.
- You will be notified within two weeks after your application is received. A confirmation letter will be e-mailed, stating the maximum amount of bus funds that will be reimbursed after your field trip. If you have questions about your application, please contact Angel Tobin at email@example.com.
- To arrange for reimbursement after your field trip, please send a bus voucher or invoice and any other supporting documentation to Angel Tobin at firstname.lastname@example.org and it will forwarded to the Friends of Roxborough State Park for processing. IMPORTANT: If we do not receive this information within 60 days following your visit, funds will not be reimbursed.
- A reimbursement check to the district or school will be dispersed after the field trip; checks may take two weeks to process. Bus reimbursements cannot exceed the price paid for the bus & fuel.
- All programs are designed with the state education standards in mind to accommodate your curriculum needs. Pre and post visit activities are provided upon request.
- Scheduling for spring and summer guided hikes begins on August 1 and fall scheduling begins on February 1. Schedule early to ensure a reservation. Email Angel Tobin at email@example.com or call 303 973-3959X15 to schedule.
- Class size capacity is 60 in spring and fall and 40 during the summer.
- Naturalist to student ratio is 1 to 10.
- Program length is 1.5—2.5 hours.
- There is no charge for programs, however donations are appreciated. There is an entry fee of $7 per vehicle for non-profit organizations.
Support of the Barbara Fritts Scholarship fund is provided by the Friends of Roxborough State Park. If you would like to contribute towards this fund please send a check to the Friends of Roxborough State Park with a note stating the purpose.
||The Friends of Roxborough
Barbara Fritts Scholarship Fund
4751 East Roxborough Drive
Roxborough, CO 80125